Julian Kleindorfer is global Co-chair of Latham & Watkins' REIT Industry Group. His practice focuses on mergers and acquisitions, corporate finance transactions and general company representation, with a particular focus on the real estate, hospitality and gaming industries.
In the mergers and acquisitions area, Mr. Kleindorfer has handled matters ranging from multi-billion dollar public and private company acquisition transactions to going-private and other conflict of interest transactions. In the corporate finance area, Mr. Kleindorfer represents issuers and investment banks in public and private equity and debt offerings. Mr. Kleindorfer serves as regular outside corporate counsel or designated underwriters’ counsel for a number of public companies, including American Assets Trust, Inc. (NYSE: AAT), Chatham Lodging Trust, Inc. (NYSE: CLDT), Digital Realty Trust, Inc. (NYSE: DLR), Douglas Emmett, Inc. (NYSE: DEI), Guidance Software, Inc. (Nasdaq: GUID), Hudson Pacific Properties, Inc. (NYSE: HPP), Mercury General Corporation (NYSE: MCY), MPG Office Trust, Inc. (NYSE: MPG) and Pinnacle Entertainment, Inc. (NYSE: PNK). In addition, Mr. Kleindorfer regularly advises boards and committees on a variety of corporate governance matters.
Mr. Kleindorfer has been recognized repeatedly by Chambers USA and in The Legal 500 US guide for his expertise in the area of real estate investment trusts and corporate finance, and by Best Lawyers in America in the securities law category. Mr. Kleindorfer is fluent in German and Japanese and serves on the Advisory Board of the Japan America Society of Southern California.
In the corporate finance area, Mr. Kleindorfer has represented issuers and investment banks in some of the REIT industry’s most significant IPO transactions, including those of:
- American Assets Trust, Inc.
- Chatham Lodging Trust, Inc.
- Digital Realty Trust, Inc.
- Douglas Emmett, Inc.
- Hudson Pacific Properties, Inc.
- MPG Office Trust, Inc.
Mr. Kleindorfer continues to be active on equity and debt offerings for the above companies and has advised on over 100 securities offerings, raising in excess of US$20 billion in proceeds for real estate, hospitality and gaming companies.
In the mergers and acquisitions area, Mr. Kleindorfer's transactions include representing:
- MPG Office Trust, Inc. in its pending merger with an affiliate of Brookfield, with a transaction value of US$2.3 billion
- Spirit Realty Capital, Inc. in its pending merger with Cole Credit Property Trust II worth a transaction value of US$7.1 billion
- Realty Income Corporation in its US$2.95 billion acquisition of American Realty Capital Trust
- Confie Seguros in its sale to an ABRY partners fund for US$633 million
- Recruit Co. Ltd. in its acquisition of Advantage Resourcing US and Europe for US$410 million and its acquisition of Staffmark Holdings, Inc. for US $295 million
- Kennedy Wilson, Inc. in its US$1.8 billion acquisition of a real estate loan pool from the Bank of Ireland
- The special committee of CNA Surety Corporation in connection with the purchase by CNA Financial Corporation of the minority interest in CNA Surety for US$475 million
- American Assets Trust, Inc. in its roll-up acquisition of more than US$1.7 billion in real estate assets
- Health Net, Inc. in the sale of its Northeast business to Oxford Health Plans, LLC for more than US$600 million
- Nestlé USA in its purchase of Kraft’s North American pizza business for US$3.7 billion
- Adecco SA in the acquisition of MPS Group, Inc. for US$1.3 billion
- Pathmark Stores, Inc. in its sale to The Great Atlantic & Pacific Tea Company, Inc. for US$1.3 billion