Dr. Sebastian Seelmann-Eggebert is a partner in the Hamburg office and global Co-chair of the International Arbitration Practice Group. He advises and represents companies, individuals and states in disputes with a particular focus on international arbitration.
Mr. Seelmann-Eggebert's experience in arbitration includes acting as lead counsel in a number of complex disputes involving public international law and the substantive laws of Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Sweden, Russia, Ukraine, Croatia and Azerbaijan, among other countries, and conducted under the rules of the DIS, ICC, ICSID, SCC, UNCITRAL as well as under German and Swiss ad hoc rules. He regularly advises clients from the energy, insurance, media, telecommunications, banking and construction industries.
Mr. Seelmann-Eggebert has also handled a large number of high-profile cases before the German courts, including the Federal Constitutional Court.
In JUVE 2012/2013 Mr. Seelmann-Eggebert is listed as leading name for arbitration and fequently recommended lawyer for litigation. He is described as "gaining enormous importance in the field of arbitration" and "first class".
Dr. Sebastian Seelmann-Eggebert has been involved as lead counsel in various representative cases, including
- The representation of a U.K. subsidiary of the Indorama group in an investment dispute against the Arab Republic of Egypt
- GEA Group AG v. Ukraine with regard to the defence of Ukraine against investment claims brought by the German technology company GEA in an ICSID arbitration. The arbitration raised a number of complex issues, including protection afforded by public international law to the enforcement of arbitration awards. The tribunal dismissed all of GEA’s claims and awarded Ukraine all of its costs
- EVN AG v. The Republic of Macedonia as Counsel of the Respondent in an ICSID arbitration involving issues under the Energy Charter Treaty and under a bilateral investment treaty in relation to the operation of an electricity network
- Alapli Elektrik BV v. The Republic of Turkey as Counsel of the Claimant in an ICSID arbitration involving issues under the Energy Charter Treaty and bilateral investment treaties in relation to electricity generation concessions
- Barmek v. The Republic of Azerbaijan as Counsel of the Respondent in an ICSID arbitration involving issues of alleged expropriation under bilateral investment treaties in relation to a concession agreement for the operation of electrical grids
- Adria Beteiligungs GmbH v. The Republic of Croatia as Counsel of the Respondent in an UNCITRAL arbitration under the aegis of the Permanent Court of Arbitration involving issues of alleged expropriation under bilateral investment treaties in relation to a gaming concession agreement
- IPOC International Growth Fund v. OAO CT-Mobile, OAO Telecominvest et al. as Counsel to the second Respondent in an SCC arbitration involving issues of a shareholders agreement among the main shareholders of one of Russia’s largest mobile telephone operators MegaFon